Author Topic: Kimber Micro 9 Review  (Read 125 times)

Offline John Cox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kimber Micro 9 Review
« on: April 12, 2020, 11:22:38 AM »
Yesterday, I broke out my new Kimber Micro 9 that I won in a raffle. Let me first get some things out in the open so you have an understanding where I'm coming from.

1) I've never been a fan of the 1911 style frame and mechanisms. I don't care to have a single action handgun.
2) I don't like the fact that I have to cock the hammer back in order to fire it.
3) I don't like the fact that in order to not have to worry about cocking the hammer, I can leave it back and the safety "on".

While the safety is positive on or off, I MAY not hear or feel it go from safe to fire if I hit it, knock it, etc. while carrying. I don't care to be shot with my own firearm especially having the concerns I have.

Now, the gun. The magazine is very easy to load. While the spring is enough to feed, it is really easy to load up even at the 7th round. It's easy to rack. I like that. It feels good in my hand and I have big hands.

When I shot it, I felt like it had a little more muzzle flip than my 45 taking in consideration the differences between the 9mm and 45 or even my Taurus G2C and G2S 9mm. I like the trigger. There is very little travel in the trigger and when you hit the back part of the travel, it does not take much to send it. That's something I would have to get used to.

My first 2 rounds were low and to the right. Keep in mind, with my XD 45 and Taurus's, I'm good to go so it caught me off guard some. When I shot it some more to try and figure out what I was doing wrong, I found that I needed to have a better grip on it and concentrate a tad more than I do with the others. Again, I need to shoot it more.

CLEANING - Once I figured out how you proceed to take the gun apart, (Thanks YouTube), it was a bit aggravating but I got it. Cleaning is easy. Putting it back together? Wow!

When you slide the slide back on the frame, you have to push a pin down so that it goes under the slide. The problem is, my fingers are a little big and there for the slide would not come back far enough to hold the pin down so I had to use a glock punch to hold it down while putting the slide back. Then, you have to push the slide back until you see the hole in the barrel through the side of the gun, insert the slide lock just a little, push the slide back a bit more and then push the slide stop the rest of the way in. It's not bad but it's not what I would call easy either.

I want to give the gun a chance. I really do. My immediate reaction is to sell it and get something else but I don't know that I will ever own another Kimber and it was really the first expensive thing I have ever won for $18 investment. I may just keep it in the house and not carry it.

I know there are people who swear by them, the 1911 style frame and that is perfectly fine. Everyone is different. We shall see.

Give me your input, experiences, likes, dis-likes, opinions. I'm open.

John